Sweet Potato Curry
- 1⁄2 large sweet onions, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Package fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 lbs)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 can diced tomatoes, can substitute fresh if available
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Rice for serving
Peel, chop and steam or bake or boil the sweet potatoes
Heat 1-2 teaspoons of canola or vegetable oil over medium heat.
Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with spices.
Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
Add ½ cup water and raise heat up to a strong simmer for about a minute.
Add the fresh spinach, a couple handfuls at a time, stirring to coat with cooking liquid. Cover and simmer until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the liquid, and stir to coat. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until flavors are well combined.
Transfer to serving dish, toss with fresh cilantro, and serve hot. This dish is nice served over basmati or brown rice.